Anyway, my first attempt was not so successful, I was hot, bothered and fed up that it did not come as easily as it did in the proper studio, so I took some time out, read up on google and had another go. I learned that unless you want lots of shadows, the model has to stand away from the wall, this should have been obvious but hey ho. Also the light needs to be closer to the model than the wall. As I am keeping the curtains open, which are on my right, the light was best placed on the left. This is not what I originally thought, but it's always good to experiment. Today's testing was really to see what settings get the best result. Now I don't really understand the settings on the speedlite too well. I set the zoom to 50mm as I was using a 50mm lens. I have no idea if this is actually correct but it seemed a good start. As for the flash amount, I think I opted for the least amount of light at 1/128. Next came the actual camera settings, I opted for ISO 200 and an expose of 1/200 and then took a photo with a different f/stop. As a side note, some more expensive speedlites you can control all the settings directly from your camera, as I have no issue with manual modes I was happy to save a little money and not care about setting it on the actual speedlite.
Anyway I had some interesting results.
Here is one with my willing (ish) model with an f/stop of F1.8
I did try adjusting some of the flash settings and some of them were way way too bright and I definitely need more time up there experimenting at different times of days.
As the room is really hot and the speedlite eats batteries we stopped here. I have been recommended some rechargable batteries that work well with the speedlite and a charger for £15, so I think when I next get paid I might need to invest in that.